Word(s) of the Day Directions Copy the WOD in your penzu journal. For the Class Starter Question either COPY the questions or write your answers in a complete sentence.
Louis and Mary Leakey: anthropologists who in 1959 the discovered the skeleton of a hominid (humanlike creature that walked upright) that was 1.8 million years old
Donald Johanson: In 1974 his team found a new skeleton. She was nicknamed “Lucy” and it is believed that she was the common ancestor for early humans. Scientists call this type of hominid Australopithecus.
Jane Goodall; in 1960, encouraged by Louis Leakey went to the Gombe reserve in Tanzania (Africa) to study chimpanzees in the wild.
CLASS STARTER COPY 1-3
- How old is Lucy?
- Why was Lucy such a big deal?
3. Why is Ardie so important to archaeologists?
Class Starter Read about Jane Goodall on page 36 in the blue Psychology book under your desk.
1. What did Jane Goodall especially like about naturalistic observation?
2. What behaviors previously thought to be only human did Goodall observe?
- Word of the Day & Class Starter
- View National Geographic video “Jane Goodall Among the Wild Chimpanzees”. Answer questions on the viewing guide
- Tomorrow Ch. 1 vocabulary & Powerpoint.