1. How would you describe the young woman in the painting?
2. what geometric shape does the figure of Mona Lisa suggest?
3. Describe the background of the painting.
4. Why do you think this painting is described as “mysterious”?
5. Why do you think portraits were popular in Renaissance Italy?
1. The woman is shown sitting in an angled pose, not quite facing front. Her hand crossed. She has a mysterious smile. Her eyes look sideways. She wears a long-sleeved gown with a thin veil over her brown hair.
2. a pyramid shape with the folded hands representing the bottom of the pyramid, and her shoulders and the line of her long hair forming the sides.
3. Bridges and roads to nowhere. Mountains.
4. the background, the half-smile, the eyes that seem to move, her expression
5. 2 reasons- Renaissance a period in which human achievement and individual personality was interesting.
2) People who could afford it; commissioned portraits by well known artists to hang in their homes.