Class Starter: Directions Copy and respond to the questions.
1. Why is a positive attitude important to your success in school and in life?
2. Describe a time or situation when your attitude made a played an important role.
Words of the Day . Copy 1-3
- stereotype-assumption about a group of people, either positive or negative, often based on half-truths and nontruths; used to catergorize a group of people.
- Prejudice-preconceived, unjustifiable, and usually negative attitude toward a person or group
- discrimination- the unequal treatment of people on the basis of their race, ethnic group, religion, gender, or age
- All blond women are dumb.
- Girls are only concerned about physical appearance.
- Guys are messy and unclean.
- Men who spend too much time on the computer or read are geeks.
- Girls are not good at sports.
- All Blacks are great basketball players.
- All Asians are geniuses.
- Asians have high IQs. They are smarter than most in Math and Science.
- All Muslims are terrorists.
- All white people don’t have rhythm.
- All Hispanics don’t speak English very well or not at all.
- All Jewish people are greedy, selfish money hungry people.
- Caucasians can’t dance.
- Germans are Nazis or fascists.
- All white people are all racist.
- Chinese will eat anything.
- In the US all South Koreans are stereotyped as dry cleaners and all Mexicans as gardeners.
“Tough guys don’t do math. Tough guys fry chicken for a living.”